What is Expansion joint filler boards ? Or some people also ask: What is Shalitex boards ?
What is an expansion joint?
An expansion joint is an assembly designed to absorb the tensions that are generated by the high temperature and additionally cool atmospheric conditions to the construction elements. The purpose is usually to keep the complete system unscathed also offer security. Always larger architectural structures like flyovers, stadiums, auditoriums, swimming pools, heavy complexes experience greatly increased influence of sunny season's high temperatures and that contributes to enlarge the building elements expanding at day and at night cools down and that result in contraction to the materials. As time passes, that makes it even more at risk of cracks. An identical phenomenon takes place in the cold weather and then repetitively it creates additional risk and risks the lifespan of the architectural structures. That is why an expansion joint is compulsory to this kind of structures.
Therefore, Expansion joint filler boards are pre-moulded, high performance joint filler board which are closed cell and of cross linked structure, eventually restricts foreign particles to enter the joint.
Expansion joint filler board's attributes:
The latest compressible filler board is based on polymers and is a "Cross Linked Closed Cell Polymer sheets". In India it is also known as HD100 joint filler sheets. The 100 refers to the density of the filler sheets, which is 100Kg per CuMtr. Our brand name is KAMPUN HD100 joint filler boards.
- It is non-staining and has excellent compression recovery, at least 95% of original thickness.
- Kampun expansion joint filler boards have very good chemical resistance; mostly all weak to moderate acids.
- Decay proof and micro-organism resistant.
- Easy to use - It is very easy to work with and to install it.
- Being a polymer product it permits weather cycle with minimum load transfer to the structures.
- All weather proof - summer, winter as well as monsoon.
- Due to its closed cell structure it has extremely low water absorption thus non-deteriorating and long life.
Usages of expansion joint filler sheets
Recently it is widely available to replace the old traditional bitumen impregnated boards, other types of composite sheets, rubberised sheets. It is considered as the new generation HD100 joint filler sheets. It is environment friendly as we produce without usage of CFC/HCFC into the production process.
- Airport runways as well as taxi tracks.
- Water preserving and water excluding structures.
- You can also use for Isolation Joints to infill sections.
- Concrete flooring and concrete roads.
- In car parking lots and also in water proofing applications.
- Interconnecting passageways between buildings.
- Basements, flyovers, toll plaza flooring surfaces as well as subways.
- Type of products supplied: Sheets and rolls.
- Normally supplied thickness range: 5mm to 200mm.
- The sheet sizes: 1200mm x 1800mm (4ft x 6ft), 1500mm x 1600mm (5ft x 5ft 4inch), 1000mm x 2000mm (3ft 4inch x 6ft 8inch) and many others.
You can go for tailored made orders for specific thickness and also sheet sizes. Normally we provide HD100 filler boards in typical black shade, even though at times served in different shade for unique demands.
Packaging is in form of bundle: KAMPUN packs each package in the thickness of 300mm ideally.
Really feel free to comment for virtually any specialist doubts, assuming there are any.
Originally we have published this article on other website at: http://ezinearticles.com/?Role-of-Expansion-Joint-Filler-Boards-in-Large-Infrastructure-Projects&id=9098236